Yesterday was a very anxious day. One that had been supposedly planned-to-perfection days before. Though as expected, many unexpected events popped up, leaving me to improvise the original plan.
Detours in the form of Max Brenner's and a very long queue had stunted my original plan to finish the 6th Harry Potter book (HBP) in time. Well, for one... I was to blame for being overly confident in myself, believing myself to be able to finish the book right in time when I had only started reading it the day before the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I shouldn't have overlooked the fact that my reading skills had probably deteriorated over these months, having been so busy and lacked contact with books.
As the Borders in Sydney CBD was to be opened at 7.30am, my original plan was to leave Randwick via the 4am bus. I was so certain that the queues would be long in Sydney for Sydney wasn't exactly Muar. Cheong-ing my way through HBP from midnight onwards but I knew it was going to be tough to finish it. I then decided against the unearthly departure time and figured that 4.42am would be sufficient to get me a spot near the front. Ah, cut all things short... I packed myself with water, a dorayaki (yes, a dorayaki), gloves, scarves and even wore 2 jackets!
At the front entrance of Skygarden (where Borders was),I was very surprised to find no one there but myself! In fact, I felt a little embarassed and thought that I might have been a little too kiasu after all. Sat down the front reading HBP. After some time, the cold started to get really unbearable. I then got up and walked to the other entrance in Pitt Street and very gladly found 2 girls huddled together outside the automatic glass doors.
There was a woman who came after me, armed with a foldable chair and blanket! Very smart of her. Clearly not a noob at this. The cold winter air was rather unkind. Sitting on the very cold floor did not help either.
Borders had never looked more inviting but the store would only open at 7.30am and this picture was taken hours before that.
The sky started to get brighter and hello there! Who's this with a camera?
Sitting on the cold floor. I lost concentration to read HBP after 6.30am.
We're in and I'm 2nd in line!!! 2nd!!! There's McGonagall with balloons.
Reporters and cameras ahead.
Preparations and there was a countdown!

"Hermione Granger" who won the Best-Dressed contest and hence, was the first to touch the books.
(AP Photo/Mark Baker)
(AP Photo/Mark Baker)
WE-LOVE-HARRY balloon.
Free Hedwig with every preorder!
The book had a wonderful smell, unlike any new books I've bought.
Hahaha. The FIRST PAGE.
My token of glory from Borders having braved the cold winter winds for 4 hours.
Not bad I say.
It was quite an opening! At first, I was just calm and reserved. A little disappointed that I was there all alone with no one to share my joy. I'm sure Koko would have loved to be there. I mean, there were characters on the loose! Snape and Bellatrix signing people up for the Best-Dressed contest. McGonagall with balloons. The brave trio behind the cashier booth. By the way, I found it very strange that those that came the earliest were mostly girls!! Where are the balls? Had they no enthusiasm? Billy noticed that too. That phonecall was a very pleasant surprise! So sorry that I couldn't answer it properly because I was paying the balance for my book. I'm sure he had a blast in Melbourne. The celebration there was much larger than the one in Sydney!
Ahhh! So many reporters and cameras but I couldn't find my picture anywhere. My photo was definitely taken but probably not published. Having arrived so early should have garnered me a spot on the papers. Oh well, wish I had a costume too. Everyone's reaction was quite priceless. I know I screamed abit. Grinning widely too! The girl in front of me was hilarious. She got her book, flipped to the last page to see the last word and screamed while running out of the store. At that time, the queue had already snaked out of Borders and halfway along Pitt Street Mall. Haha, I must admit that I felt pretty victorious holding the book when I saw the slightly jealous faces of those still outside. A little smug too! Awww, what harm can a little smugness do to one.
Couldn't resist and I had to start reading the book once I hopped onto the bus home. Felt like shouting to the world! Ahh, nothing quite like feeling victorious.
Cooped myself up and started reading non-stop after that. With two 2 hour sleep breaks and a few chats with some people. I wasn't that inhumane to totally ignore those who messaged me on MSN.
The book was soooo good, I wouldn't put it down if I didn't have to. I actually brought it to the toilet twice! Very intense from the start, action-packed and of course, more emotional than the rest. I didn't realise I was going to cry that much! It was just tears at first. One or two. Suddenly this part hit and I couldn't stop sobbing. Amazing what Harry Potter can do to you. First time I've ever sobbed so hard while reading a book.
It was a great wait, this last wait. Very challenging mentally as well. I half felt like leaving because the cold was getting almost unbearable. The last book had never been more motivating than before.
I've finished the book. Feeling rather satisfied (to know the ending) but sad as well because it is, after all, the end. No, I will not reveal the story to you unless you're not a fan and not secretly plotting to ruin another fan's day by shouting spoilers into their poor ears. Personally, I find these people rather despicable. I can't imagine what sick pleasure they gain from it. If anyone had done it to me, I daresay that I will personally skin them alive and hang their decapitated head on my door. Quite an ornament that will make.
J.K. Rowling, if there ever is the chance of you reading this, thank you so much for bringing Harry Potter into my life. He has become such a big part of my life and I cannot thank you enough for this magical experience. It will not just end, eventhough this may be the "end". The spirit of Harry Potter lives within us and will be carried on to generations-yet-to-come.
Love,
Someone who stuck with Harry til the end.



0 comments:
Post a Comment