Friday, April 13, 2007

Roaming The Streets of Chinatown

Armed with a map, a bottle of water, a camera, and the bare essentials, I headed to the city alone again. This time to Chinatown! I tend to go off to some place by myself (with a map, of course.) and roam it aimlessly for a few hours to know the place better. Avoid referring to a map, unless you're really lost. Company is optional but I usually do it alone because I have no idea whether people can tahan my aimless roaming.

I had my very late lunch cum tea in Superbowl. It was already way past 3pm by then. I ordered some noodles and dumplings (jiao zhi) having read from Grab Your Fork that the food was good.

Stir fried rice noodles with beef. YUMMY.


It was really good but LOOK AT THE PORTION! I'm sure two can share it effortlessly. Chinese restaurants in Aussie also tend to serve tea and soup of the day automatically. It's like a complimentary thing. The noodles were good. Oily enough. I finished quite abit of it since that was my first meal of the day. So very hungry I was. By the time the dumplings came, I was too full. Had to ta pao some of the noodles and 4 of the dumplings. Darn, I forgot to take pictures of it. I remember myself wistfully (Is it wishfully or wistfully? I think it's wistfully.) wishing I could speak Cantonese. I can understand, not too chim but better than nothing. Oh well, never too late to learn eh?

A pile of aimless roaming and going around in circles, I then found myself in Market City! Cool. I found Paddy's Market accidentally. I didn't know that Market City was a whole shopping mall in itself. You can find lots of cheap and good stuff there. Clothes included. Beware though, not everything is as cheap as it claims to be. So, keep a sharp eye out there. I did wander into JayJays which in my opinion has some great cheap clothes, especially these vintagey-looking tees! Aren't they cute? And each for AUD$20 only! =D


I'm a Sesame Street fan.


Everybody loves Elmo!


Then, I headed to Thai Kee Supermarket only a floor below to check out the Oriental treasures it holds beyond the oh-so-magical gates.


Picture courtesy of Grab Your Fork. Silly me forgot to take a picture of the mart when I left it.


Lookie here! I found a panda sitting on Lee Kum Kee's bottle. How old school is that man?


I thought this was pretty amazing. It's a dragon boat tray for sushi display. Pretty amazing but covered in dust. I wonder why... 'cause it's 85 bucks, you fuckwit. HAHA.


LOOK AT ALL THE JAPANESE BOWLS! I'M GOING MAD! XD


CHEENA BOWLS!!! WOOO, I'M IN LOVE WITH THE BOWLS! XD


Behold, the wall of instant noodles divine. Life-savers on a lazy day or even a night.


And now your favourite Chicken Sitcky Rice comes in a box! How convenient!


MORE BOWLS!!!!! XD XD XD *hyper ventilates.* Apparently, Chareli has a fetish for Oriental bowls.


When I first set my eyes on this, I was dumbfounded and I poked it. The only natural reaction that I could think of. Whatever was that? A baby and nothing else? Oh wait, food for ages 0-100. So if you happen to be 101 years old, GUESS WHAT? YOU CAN'T EAT IT. HAH! I later found out that it was actually just mayonnaise. -.-"


We used to only have blocks of gold and now we have blocks of GOLDEN curry! I did buy a small box to try it out. Can't wait. Ooooh... yummy. I'm such a glutton.


Something familliar I trust? Product of Malaysia! Candlenuts! And I thought they were called buah keras. Guess I was wrong.


Seriously, I didn't know that there was Thai, Indonesian and Malaysian satay sauce! Come on la, you and me, we all knew satay sauce only right? What nonsense is this, man. I bet you can't taste the difference between the three anyway. =P


Just an example of what an aisle looks like. Trust me, it's longer than that. Who's that unlucky woman who got captured in the moment?


I see Coke! Eh? Look closer, my friend. WTF! Hey Song Sarsaparilla????


Koko, I thought you said there wasn't any Darlie (Hei Ren Ya Gau which literally translates to Black Man Toothpaste) in Aussie?
No offence to anyone out there.


Forgive me if I'm abit suaku but I've never seen this! Tins yes but condensed milk in tubes?? What next?!


I love going through the aisles of supermarkets.
And Happy Friday the 13th!

0 comments: